Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Assignment 6: 2

Lesson Topic: Fables: The Ant and the Grasshopper
Grade: 2
Duration: 50 Minutes

1.     What learning objectives/main ideas do students need to know (maximum of 3)?
·      Students will learn the meaning of a Fable and new vocabulary words.
·      Students will read “The Ant and The Grasshopper” and be able to identify the moral of the story.
·      Students will discuss an experience they’ve had and a lesson they learned.

2. What common core skills will be introduced or reinforced during this lesson?

Students will be able to determine lessons after the stories and describe major events and challenges character’s experience.

 3. Which content area standards are addressed in this lesson?

RL.2.2. Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.

RL.2.3. Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.


4. What academic and content specific vocabulary is introduced in this lesson?

Fable
Moral
Crops
Store
Crops
Field
Enough

5. What materials (e.g. activity sheet, map, song) will I present to students?

YouTube- Video of “The Ant and the Grasshopper
Activity sheet
Flash Cards
Construction Paper
Crayons and Markers

6. What activity, if any, will I use to settle students and establish a context (DO NOW)?
Students will read the story on their own to prepare for the lesson.

7. How will I open the lesson (MOTIVATION) and capture student interest?
Students will watch a YouTube animated video of the story.

 8. What additional Full class/group/individual activities will I use to help students discover what they need to learn (suggest three)?
Students will discuss morals and provide situations they learned from in their everyday life. 
Students will individually provide alternative solutions to the story in groups.
Students will discuss as a class why it’s important to be like the ant and not the grasshopper.

9.  If there are group activities, how will student groups be organized?
Students will work in groups of threes to discuss what they learned and complete the activity sheet as a group.

10.  How will I differentiate instruction with multiple entry points for diverse learners?
Students will be introduced to the story in two different methods (reading and video) to provide students with alternative introductions to the story.

10. What HOT (High Order Thinking) questions will I ask to encourage students in analysis and discussion?

1.     Who are the two characters in the story?
2.     During what season does the story take place?
3.     Why did the ant work so hard?
4.     What lesson does grasshopper learn?

11. How will I assess student mastery of the skills, content, and concepts taught in this lesson?
Students will complete activity sheet to show that they understand the concept of setting and moral of the story in addition to summarizing.

12. How will I bring the lesson to closure (Summary Questions)?
            Students will close the lesson by discussing lessons they’ve learned in their personal life.

13. How will I reinforce and extend student learning?
·                CLASS APPLICATION/FOLLOW-UP – What are some experiences you’ve learned from
·                ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES – Students will discuss ways the grasshopper could’ve avoided the
situation.
·                HOMEWORK – Vocabulary worksheets

14. What topics come next?
TOMORROW: Discussing character traits.
DAY AFTER: Students will develop a fable.

15. How do I evaluate this lesson? (It is about to what extent your lesson successful is, which is different from student assessment itself. You can use student assessment results as one evidence for your lesson’ success though.)

• STRENGTHS- Lesson allows students to learn about lessons/morals
• WEAKNESSES- Activity sheet will showcase students understanding of character traits.
• AREAS to WORK- Providing different levels of learning.  

• THINGS TO CHANGE- Adding an interactive technology tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment